Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mission Tour with Dallin H. Oaks

January 26, 2015

Hey y'all,
This week was full of craziness and fun! Sister Ferguson and I have seen a ton of miracles in our area this week, and the work is just booming here in Beeville. It's awesome. Aside from that, we had the opportunity to meet an apostle on Saturday! We drove to McAllen and had a special missionary meeting with Elder Dallin H. Oaks. It was so, so cool. I even got to shake his hand!
Every missionary in the Texas McAllen Mission was packed into the chapel and I was sitting about 5 feet away from Elder Oaks. The spirit was super strong as he spoke. There were also two members of the Seventy with him, Elder Wright and Elder Lynn G. Robbins. They both said some very profound things in the meeting, as well. One of the quotes from Elder Robbins that I liked was, "Once you're through changing, your through." It sounds redundant, but it's super true! Missions are all about changing ourselves to be more like Christ. But we only change if we want to change.
One thing I noticed about Elder Oaks is that he is really funny in person. He commented on this point and said, "A lot of people are surprised that I have a sense of humor when they meet me in person. They ask me why I never smile or loosen up during General Conference. My only response is that when you are speaking to 3 million people and you have the First Presidency sitting behind you, you're not full of giggles." I can only imagine! But he gave a really great training and I learned a ton about how to better follow the promptings of the Spirit. Overall, it was an epic meeting.
I am loving Beeville and I love all of it's quirks. I have a secret goal to stop an Amish buggy and teach them the gospel. Wish me luck!
Love
Hermana Angus