Monday, October 13, 2014

The Proposal

October 6, 2014

Dear family,
I loved General Conference! I don't think I've ever loved it more! I just kept thinking, "I can't wait to reread that talk in the Ensign next month." haha. Talk about a geeky missionary... Our recent convert John loved Conference, too. He watched all the sessions and said afterwards, "Those speakers answered all of my questions I've been having in my heart. That was cool."
This was a very interesting. Sister Haynes and I found a new investigator named, Dean. He is 43-year-old, an alcoholic, single, and has had three strokes. I have not seen him sober yet. A few days ago he proposed to me. He told me to leave the mission so we could get married...#nope
We are thinking of handing him over to the Elders because he won't stop flirting. We actually brought John to a lesson (as a member!) and he talked to Dean about joining Alcoholics Anonymous. John made him promise to not drink until noon the next day, when they would go to a 12:00 meeting of AA. And Dean kept his promise! :)
Sister Haynes and I are super impressed with how quickly John has started doing missionary work! We are convinced he will be the Gospel Doctrine teacher one day. Man, we have to come prepared to his lessons!! He asks questions sometimes that Sister Haynes and I just have to say, "We don't know the answer to that question, John. We'll ask around and get back to you." haha.
Sometime I feel like we as members of the church take this gospel for granted. I sure do. There are people out there who just soak it up like a sponge when they are introduced to new things like General Conference, the Ensign, and the church websites. The church has so much to offer and there is so much to learn. I love it, and I love that John loves it. :)
I hope you all have a fantastic week!
Love,
Hermana Angus