Thursday, June 12, 2014

Missionary feet are nasty (oh, and a letter from the Prophet to me!)

Hey everyone!
This week was full of craziness!! I dont even know where to begin.... Well, I don´t know how to  transition, so I am just going to say it: I got a personal letter from Thomas S. Monson. I got a legit letter from the prophet!!!!!!!!! Let me explain. In 2005, I got the opportunity to meet him at a family camp called Aspen Grove. He told me to serve a mission and that "redheads make the work go faster". So before I went to the MTC I wrote him a letter telling him that I was doing as he said and serving a mission. Then on Monday I got a letter addressed to Sister Angus saying "Thank you for your touching letter and picture. I am glad I got to meet you and your father at Aspen Grove in 2005." He said a lot more, but in closing he said, "I am praying for you and your companion. Sincerely your brother, Thomas S. Monson". I about passed out. My hands were shaking. My companion said, "Yes! The prophet is praying for us!!! Blessings galore!" I am still in shock. Is this real life? I meant to take a picture of the letter, but I will next time. 
I don´t know how anything in my mission will top that experience, but in other news, one of the elders in my district broke his big toe this week! We were playing beach volleyball and he got a little carried away and broke his toe on sand....It swelled so fast!! The knuckle of his toe was the size of a gumball. He was taken to an Xray center in Mexico City and the xray was only $300 pesos. Thats about $28 US dollars. Crazy! Anyways, we do a lot of walking at the CCM, so the doctors made him use a wheel chair. Everyone, including this Elder, thought it was ridiculous to use a wheelchair for a broken toe. He got really good at doing wheelies and almost killed himself by trying to go down the stairs in his wheelchair. Boys are dumb. Then Hermana Collins´s toe nails started falling off this week....Not sure why! But each of them is falling off, one by one. Missionary feet are nasty. My feet are so blistered and scabbed and scarred. Mom, please schedule my pedicure for November 2015. I cant even imagine how ugly they will be by then...
Since this is my last week at the CCM, our whole district decided to go a day speaking entirely Spanish. We wore tags that said Solo Español and it was sooooo hard!!! But it was surprising much I could communicate in my broken Spanish.
I told you this week was crazy! Another story: last night the CCM flooded. Literally flooded. Everyone was in the auditorium watching a devotional that was being broadcasted from the Provo MTC when rain came pouring into the room. The elders grabbed mops and anything they could find to try to get the water out of the auditorium, but it just kept coming! The doors were closed, but it didn´t matter. Somehow the water got in. Once the devotional was over, I looked at the floor at the base of the auditorium and it was about a foot deep. It looked like a kiddy pool. We were dismissed early for the night because of the flooding, so the other hermanas and myself decided to go puddle jumping! It was soooo fun to just cut loose for a few minutes. Lifes about learning to dance in the rain, right? 
None of these stories were very spiritual, but I have learned so much while being at the CCM. I am really sad at the thought of leaving. I love my district so much and I love the atmosphere here. But at the same time, I am super excited to go to Texas! It´s finally time! I love being a missionary and I know that this work is God´s work. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and that through him, we can overcome anything in this life. Have a good week!
Love,
Hermana Angus